Exercising after breast cancer surgery may be the last thing you feel like doing. Cancer wreaks havoc on the body and many women are left feeling physically challenged by even normal daily activities. Traditionally, cancer patients have been told to avoid exertion, but more recent studies show that exercise can greatly improve physical function and quality of life during and after treatment.
Here are some well-documented benefits from participating in a Pilates program before and after breast cancer surgery:
- Improved lymphatic drainage with proper breathing techniques
- Restored postural alignment and balance
- Improved shoulder mechanics to help breakdown scar tissue
- and frozen shoulder
- Restored overall range of motion, flexibility, strength and endurance
- Protection against bone loss during chemo and radiation
- Enhanced core strength and endurance
- Improved overall body awareness
- Re-established muscular firing patterns
- Reduced both physiological and emotional stress
- Increased self-confidence and overall well-being
We offer private rehabilitative Pilates training for women across Toronto and host Pink Method Pilates and dance workshops several times throughout the year.